The Competent Persons Register is a government approved scheme where businesses and tradespeople are able to self-certify that their work complies with Building Regulations. This means that you do not have to submit a building notice or a full plans application, so you also do not have to pay any additional fees to have a Building Control Body official come out to inspect the work you have had done. This also gives you financial protection to cover you if any non-compliant work was found, even if the installation company had gone out of business since the work was done.

Registered Electricians with this scheme will show the Competent Persons symbol on their websites and paperwork (you can see it displayed on the KeyTek site) and you can also check this on separate, independent websites such as the one shown below:

The Competent Persons Register went live in mid 2014 following an agreement between all of the operators of the electrical Competent Person Scheme in England and Wales. The main aim of the register is to promote electrical safety in the home by making it simple for customers to find and check for a competent, registered electrician. All electricians who are listed on the register and are allowed to display the mark can work on domestic electrical installations under the government’s Competent Person Scheme.

KeyTek’s presence on the register means that I have met strict qualification requirements and that my work is regularly assessed by a Scheme Operator to ensure the correct standards are being met. This assures you that:

– My work is up to the British Standard for electrical safety (BS 7671)
– I have met all of the strict entry requirements, including qualifications, skills, knowledge, experience and insurance policies
– My work is regularly assessed by a Government-approved Scheme Operator to make sure it meets the correct standards
– I will be able to give you a BS7671 certificate to confirm that the work has been designed, inspected and tested in line with the electrical safety standard. If the work is notifiable, can also arrange a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate to confirm compliance with Building Regulations. (This would be issued to you by the Scheme Operator within 30 days of work being completed.)
– I am permitted and able to self-certify the work done, which saves you the need to notify your Local Authority Building Control department. I have been authorised by the Government to do these self-certifications
– I have all the necessary insurance policies in place, including Public Liability Insurance

If you need any further information on the Competent Persons Register, you can find all the information you need at the following website: